School Social Work Licensure

“School social workers are an integral link between school, home and community in helping students achieve academic success.”

National Association of Social Workers.


Licensure of school social workers in North Carolina is handled by the Licensure Division in the Department of Public Instruction, upon recommendation of DPI-approved social work programs. Therefore, we are an approved social work program that provides the school social work license:

  • Specialist Level "S"
    • Requires one additional graduate level course within the College of Education.
  • Graduate Level "M"
  • Undergraduate Level "A"

School Social Work FAQ

Who should take the Social Work in Schools course?

  • If you are currently employed as a school social worker and you are seeking a school social work license.
  • If you are enrolled or have successfully completed a school social work field placement.
  • If you have a BSW or MSW from a CSWE accredited program.

NOTE: The school social work course without employment as a school social worker or before completion of a school social work field placement will not meet the guidelines for the NCDPI School Social Work License.

Should you take the graduate or undergraduate course?

  • We highly recommend you take the course that corresponds to your highest level of education.
  • Additionally, it is recommended that you check with the school that employs you to find their specific requirements.

How much does it cost to take the course?

  • Tuition rates are subject to change, therefore please see this link for the latest information.

How do I register for the course?

  • If you are not a student at NC State you must first register as a Non-Degree Studies Student (NDS).
  • During registration, you will select to take the course during the fall, spring, or summer. Note, the SW 412/512 course is only offered online.


Please contact NC State University Lecturer Darlene Johnson with any inquiries regarding this course.

Email: dljohn12@ncsu.edu