Get involved and enrich your student experience with extracurricular activities and honor societies on campus! The School of Social Work currently collaborates with four active, social work-focused student organizations. If you are a student that is interested in joining one of the organizations below, please contact the relevant faculty lead.
Some available options include:
- Baccalaureate Student Social Work Association (BSSWA): The BSSWA strives to complement the academic requirements of the undergraduate social work program at North Carolina State University. The association does this through workshops taught by social work professionals and structured interaction with other social work majors and social work practitioners. We give students in the association opportunities to implement the skills they've acquired in class into the community through service. For membership or general questions, please contact Professors Sontina Barnes and/or Isabel Rios.
- Graduate Student Social Work Association (GSSWA): The GSSWA offers extracurricular opportunities for MSW students to engage with three focus areas: social justice, service, and professional development. The student organization works to enhance the cohort experience by offering a diversity of social and educational campaigns, events, and resources. As members, students can network and grow professionally, all while building long-lasting friendships with their colleagues. The aim of the GSSWA is to offer the tools necessary for each student to walk out of their MSW experience ready to thrive as social workers. For membership or general questions, please contact Professors Mary Morris and/or Nashia Whittenburg.
- Epsilon Kappa Chapter of the Phi Alpha Honor Society: The Epsilon Kappa Chapter of Phi Alpha National Honor Society was established in 1995 to recognize social work students who excel academically. Once inducted, Phi Alpha members must complete service projects, attend meetings and pay dues. For membership or general questions, please contact Professor Trinette Boone-Langley for BSW students and Professor Michelle Guarino for MSW students.
- Men in Social Work: We provide a network and resource for men in our school and our male alumni. We create a rapport among students and alumni to support males interested in pursuing social work careers. For membership or general questions, please contact Professor Deric Boston or Dr. Terrance Ruth.
- Association of Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialists (LCAS/A): The Association of Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialists is a group of students, graduates and community members who are licensed or seeking licensure from the NC Addiction Specialists Professional Practice Board. The group meet to discuss relevant issues in the area of Substance Use Disorders, prepare for professional exams and support one another in professional endeavors. For membership or general questions, please contact Professor David Fitzpatrick.